Honeynut Squash Galette with Miso Brown Sugar Glaze
One of my all time favorite recipes this fall– honeynut squash galette with miso brown sugar glaze. In previous years, when fall came around, I mostly thought about pumpkin spiced desserts and apple pies. For some reason though, this year I am completely obsessed with ALLL the squash and pumpkin! I’ve even put pumpkin into a classic pork dumpling recipe!
And so this honeynut galette was invented. I wanted to combine some of the most subtly interesting flavors into this bake. Honeynut squash is very similar to butternut, but because they are much smaller in size, the flavor is more concentrated. Therefore, honeynuts are sweeter with a gorgeous subtle nutty flavor. In this recipe, the thinly sliced squash cooks down in the oven so that it becomes softer and almost mashable, but not mushy. The slices retain their shape and make for a gorgeous galette!
What is Miso Paste?
Miso paste is a Japanese seasoning that is made with fermented soybeans, salt, and koji (it is important to note that this is not the same as Korean soybean paste). You can find it in most Asian grocery stores.
Miso Paste can be added to many dishes or sauces to bring umami and complexity to any dish. It is deeply savory and a little sweet and nutty. In this honeynut galette recipe, I add brown sugar and rice vinegar to the miso paste to achieve even more complexity, but most of all, balance.
What You’ll Need
Ingredients for Honeynut Squash Galette with Miso Brown Sugar Glaze
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- White miso paste
- Brown sugar
- Rice vinegar
- Honeynut Squash
- Gruyere cheese
- Flaky sea salt
- Fresh thyme (optional)
How to make Honeynut Squash Galette with Miso Brown Sugar Glaze
- Make galette crust: a few hours before you need it, or preferably overnight, prepare the crust by making half of my flaky pie crust recipe. I have a lot of information on that blog post about how to make the best crust ever. Follow the detailed instructions there first.
- Roll out crust: In baking day, roll out the crust to an approximately 10-12 inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Place it flat onto a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in fridge while you prep the filling ingredients.
- Make the miso brown sugar glaze by whisking together all the glaze ingredients until smooth and all the miso paste has dissolved.
- Prep the filling ingredients: Cook the onions over medium to low heat until softened and deeply caramelized. Let cool. Peel honeynut squash, cut in half, and scoop out the seeds. Then, slice very thin and set aside.
- Assemble galette and bake: Distribute gruyere on the galette crust, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border. Place caramelized onions on top. Then, arrange sliced honeynut squash on top. Fold the edges of the galette up and over all around. Brush miso glaze all over the squash. Brush egg wash onto the edges of the galette, sprinkle with flaky sea salt, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, brush squash with more glaze, and return to oven to bake for another 10 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
A lovely fall galette-- a little sweet, savory, umami, all wrapped up in a flaky tender crust!
for galette crust
for miso brown sugar glaze
- 1 1/2 TB white miso paste
- 2 TB light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 TB hot water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 small honeynut squash
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
for egg wash + topping
- 1 egg
- flaky sea salt
- fresh thyme (optional)
Make galette crust dough
- Make a half batch of my flaky pie crust recipe.
- Roll out dough on a clean well floured surface into a approx. 10-12 inch circle or oval, about 1/8 inch thick. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the fridge until filling is prepped.
Prep the miso glaze
- In a medium bowl, add all glaze ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Set aside.
Prep the filling
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat with a few tablespoons of oil. Stir in onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until soft and well caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Peel honeynut squash, cut in half, and scoop out the seeds and stringy fibers. Slice thinly and set aside.
Assemble galette and bake
- Sprinkle gruyere on top of the rolled out galette dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border all around. Evenly distribute caramelized onions on top.
- Assemble the sliced squash on top, then fold the border of the dough up and over all around the edge. Brush the miso glaze all over the squash.
- Beat an egg vigorously in a small bowl. Brush this egg wash all over the galette crust edge. Sprinkle flaky sea salt all over and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove galette from oven and brush the miso glaze over the squash again, top with fresh thyme, and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!