Small Batch Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
These small batch bakery style chocolate chip banana muffins and are not only a mouthful to say, they’re also a mouthful of absolute GOODNESS! They’re so so moist, full of sweet brown sugary flavor, and they have that perfect bakery style sugary crunchy muffin top! Small batch makes these perfect for one or two people, but also please any guests coming around! Even my little nieces were begging to have these straight out of the oven! Grab your coffee and your whisk, and let’s go!
These small batch banana muffins are the PERFECT thing to whip up when you find yourself with that one last banana on your kitchen counter that’s just too ripe to eat. For this recipe, the riper the better! Even better news? They come together in absolutely no time at all!
What You’ll Need
Ingredients for Small Batch Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Medium to large very ripe banana
- All purpose flour
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate baking bar
- Granulated sugar
How to Make Small Batch Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Whisk together dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix together wet ingredients: Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar. Then whisk in egg for a minute. Add sour cream, vanilla extract, and mashed banana. Mix to combine well.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Fold in finely chopped dark chocolate.
- Rest batter: Cover batter with plastic wrap and rest for 15-20 minutes while preheating oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake: Line a cupcake pan with 4 cupcake liners, only using every OTHER cupcake mold (this results in a higher rise for the muffins). Fill each cavity to the very top, then sprinkle with about a teaspoon of granulated sugar on top of each muffin and bake for about 22-25 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Super moist and packed with flavor, these are the best banana muffins ever! Don't forget about bakery style crunchy sugary muffin tops!
- 3/4 cup (96g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp regular salt)
- 4 tbsp (half stick OR 56g) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup (66g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium or large very ripe banana (about 5 oz), mashed
- 2 oz (half bar) dark chocolate bar, chopped finely
- Granulated sugar, for topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together slightly cooled melted butter and brown sugar. Add egg and whisk vigorously for a minute. Add sour cream, vanilla, and mashed banana. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fold in the chopped chocolate and then cover with plastic wrap to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While batter is resting, PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners, only using every other cupcake cavity-- you'll only need enough for 4 muffins. (Using every other cupcake cavity will produce a higher rise for your muffin).
- Fill the lined cupcake cavities with the batter all the way to the top. For the pictured muffins, I only made 3 and WAY overfilled mine-- it made for more of a bakery style muffin but did create a bit of a mess.
- Sprinkle about 1 tsp of granulated sugar on top of each muffin, then bake for 22-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean or only with a few moist crumbs. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from cupcake tin and enjoy!