a chewy in the middle, perfectly crispy on the edges type of cookie. with notes of toffee running throughout every bite, this cookie has it all— even mini marshmallows and graham crackers in the cookie dough! topped with more chocolate and a torched marshmallow, it doesn’t get better than this!
when is s’mores season anyway? i get that people like to gather around the fire at summertime and fire up a few s’mores but is it just me or does sitting by a hot fire not sound too amazing on a hot summer day? maybe it is just me haha but it’s always the cooler weather that has me dreaming about sitting by the fire, getting warm with hot cocoa, smooshing perfectly charred jumbo marshmallows between chocolate and graham crackers.
i guess it doesn’t much matter when we like to have our s’mores, because let’s be honest, it’s every freakin’ day! but who has time to build a fire every time you get that sudden longing for campfire s’mores?! with all the incredibly creative ways to incorporate s’mores into baked goods these days, you really don’t have to! and i might be biased but i think i’ve developed the very best way to satisfy that craving!
these are my better than s’mores campfire chocolate chip cookies! they’re a flatter chocolate chip cookie that is sooo good and chewy everywhere with a perfect crisp all along the edges, sophisticated caramelly and toffee flavors, topped with even more chocolate and that perfectly charred marshmallow!
let’s get that sitting by the campfire feeling together!
makes about 18 large cookies
for the cookies
2 c (256g) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp kosher salt
1/2 c (about 4 whole crackers) graham crackers, crushed
1 c (2 sticks, 227g) unsalted or salted butter, softened
1 c light or dark brown sugar, packed
½ c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz (1 1/2 bars) dark chocolate bars, finely chopped
2/3 c mini marshmallows
for topping (optional)
18 large marshmallows
1 baking dark chocolate bar, snapped into large pieces by hand
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, kosher salt, and graham cracker crumbs. Set aside.
- With a paddle attachment on stand mixer, mix butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Switch to low speed and add eggs, then vanilla, beating until fully incorporated. Stop to scrape down the sides of mixing bowl.
- Add in flour mixture and mix at low speed until incorporated. DO NOT over mix.
- Fold in chocolate and marshmallows. Again, don’t over mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. for best tasting cookies, refrigerate overnight.
- remove cookie dough from refrigerator.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- scoop about 2 1/2 tb sized cookie dough and lightly form into a ball without overworking the dough. place them on baking tray about 2 inches apart because they will spread alot. place extra cookie dough back into refrigerator between bakes.
- bake cookies for 9 minutes, remove from oven, and quickly place one marshmallow on each cookie, slightly pushing it into the cookie and place a large piece of chocolate on top.
- give the pan a good bang on the stovetop and return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the edges are browned and middle is slightly puffed.
- remove from oven and torch marshmallows with a blow torch.
- let cool for at least 10 minutes (or however long you can resist) on baking pan.
- repeat with the rest of the dough and ENJOY!