Asparagus Mushroom Galettes
These asparagus mushroom galettes are the perfect savory bake! You start with a layer of buttery, light, and flaky pie dough which cradles melty and stretchy mozzarella cheese, topped with seasoned asparagus, mushroom, and onion, roasted to the perfect tender bite!
There are a few steps to making these but if you split them up into a couple days, they come together quite easily and are the perfect addition to your next brunch!
My best pie dough recipe technique
This recipe is a classic all-butter pie dough– my go-to for every pie or galette I make! But more recently, I’ve started to incorporate the technique of “laminating” into this recipe to end up with an even lighter and flakier pastry! This technique is traditionally used for making puff pastry like croissants. But it’s so easy to add these few quick steps to this recipe to absolutely elevate it! Keep reading to learn how to do this yourself!
- Dry ingredients + cold butter: combine flour, sugar, and salt, then toss in the cold butter, coating it. start flattening and rubbing the butter into the flour. then add ice cold water and gently hydrate the flour.
- Gently knead dough together and chill: with a bench scraper, gather the shaggy dough and gently knead together. wrap in plastic wrap, then with the palm of your hand or rolling pin, lightly roll the dough flatter, to fill in the space inside the plastic wrap. chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- Laminate + chill: On a well floured surface, roll dough out to a roughly long rectangular shape, then fold in thirds like a letter, brushing off excess flour in between layers. Repeat process 2 more times and then cut in half and wrap each piece of dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight, up to 3 days.
What you’ll need
- Food scale
- Mixing bowls
- Bench scraper
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- all purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- asparagus spears
- baby bella mushrooms
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- fresh mozzarella cheese
How To Make Asparagus Mushroom Galettes
- Prep the pie dough and chill
- Prepare the filling vegetables
- Roll out dough, cut, fold galette edges, and chill
- Preheat oven
- Brush galette edges with egg wash, fill with cheese and veggies
- Bake galettes for about 30 minutes and ENJOY!
- Always keep pie dough COLD. From prepping and making the dough to handling it before putting it in the oven, make sure your dough is always on the chillier side, never having melty butter. This will ensure that pieces of butter are marbled throughout the dough, resulting is layers and a tender pastry when baked.
- The veggies used in this recipe can be easily replaced by other veggies! If you enjoy tomatoes, bell peppers, or thinly sliced zucchini, those would all work as well!
Other recipes you should try!
1. Scallion Pancake Soft Pretzels
2. Mashed Potato Cheddar Puff Pastry
3. nectarine galette
Asparagus Mushroom Galettes
Asparagus, mushrooms, and onions sit on top of a bed of melty mozzarella cheese, cradled by a light and super flaky pastry!
for pie dough
- 2 1/2 c (320g) all purpose flour
- 1 tb granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 c (2 sticks, 227g) unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 8 tbs ice water (about 1/2 c, 118g)
- 1 - 1.5 lbs asparagus spears, washed, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tb olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt (can be replaced by a mix of salt and garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tb water
- flaky sea salt (optional)
prepare pie dough
- in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. add cold cubed butter and toss around to fully coat each piece of butter. working quickly, flatten each cube of butter between your thumbs and forefingers. keep some pieces of butter big and flat, while working other pieces into the flour by rubbing the butter into it.
- add 4 tablespoons of the ice cold water to the flour mixture and gently mix with a spatula or spoon to hydrate some of the dough. add the rest of the water, and toss around with hands to hydrate the dough.
- dump dough out onto a clean surface and with a bench scraper, gently scrape the loose dough in onto itself to gently knead and bring the dough together. dough should look just hydrated enough, not wet or sticky, Place dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap, then wrap in a rectangular shape. with a rolling pin, flatten and roll the dough gently inside the plastic wrap so that the dough fills up the space inside the plastic wrap. refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
- "laminate the dough" remove dough from fridge, unwrap, and place on a lightly floured surface. roll dough out into a long rectangle, about 16in x 8in (just eyeball it, no need to be exact). brush off any excess flour with your hands and fold into thirds like a letter starting from the long side. turn 90 degrees and roll out into a long rectangle again, repeating the roll and fold process 2 more times. After the last time, roll the dough out only slightly, then cut in half, and wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight, up to 3 days.
- in a large bowl, combine asparagus, mushrooms, and onions. drizzle in olive oil, garlic salt (or mix your own salt and garlic powder), and black pepper. toss around to coat veggies in oil and seasoning (i use my hands for quickest results). set aside.
- slice about 12 oz of the mozzarella to 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick, cut the rest into smaller cubes. set aside.
roll out dough
- work with one piece of dough at a time: remove dough from fridge. on a floured surface, start rolling out dough, keeping it in a rectangular shape. roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thick, about 12in x 16in. cut into 4 equal pieces and then fold down the edges of each piece like the photo below. place in freezer to chill and then repeat with other piece of dough.
- PREHEAT OVEN to 425 degrees F
- In a bowl, beat egg and water together. set aside
assemble +bake galettes
- Assemble 4 galettes at a time: remove from freezer, brush edges with egg wash, place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese inside each galette, then top with 4-5 pieces of asparagus (use the stem halves as well). then top with several slices of mushroom and onion. top with a pinch of flaky sea salt
- Bake for 27-30 minutes, until the pastry dough is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before enjoying! Repeat for other half of galettes!