Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
These pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are one of my all time favorite fall baking staples EVER! They’re incredibly fluffy and moist and not too sweet. The muffins also have the most amazing bakery style muffin tops ever! Finish that off with some sweet and crumbly streusel on top, you have your new fave muffins! Also, they’re incredibly easy to whip up!
For this recipe, I fill the cupcake wells all the way up to the top and alternate wells. These two factors result in those super high muffins tops that we all crave! And face it, those are the BEST parts, right?! Follow along below to learn how to make these incredibly easy and tasty muffins!
What You’ll Need
- Mixing bowls
- Food scale (optional but preferred)
- Silicone spatula
- Cupcake pans
- Cupcake liners (optional)
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Unsalted butter
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Light or dark brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Ground cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Pumpkin puree
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Make the streusel topping: whisk together flour, sugars, and salt. then mix in the butter and set aside
- Prep the muffin batter: whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugars, oil, pumpkin puree, sour cream, and vanilla. combine the wet and dry ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake pan only using every OTHER cupcake well all the way to the top. Top with streusel, and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then lower to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
These pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are so fluffy and yummy, with beautiful bakery style muffin tops!
for streusel topping
- 4 TB (56g) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 2/3 c (86g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 c (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 c (50g) light or dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4 c (224g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c (100g) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 c (109g) vegetable oil
- 1 c (240g) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c (122g) sour cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (173g) semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Make streusel topping
- melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to let cool slightly
- in a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, and salt. add butter and mix well. set aside.
Make muffin batter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
- in a large bowl, combine eggs, sugars, and oil. whisk for a minute to combine well. then, add in pumpkin puree, sour cream, and vanilla extract. add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and whisk gently until just combined. don't over mix.
- fold in mini chocolate chips
- Spray a cupcake pan with non stick baking spray or line 6 cupcake wells with cupcake liners (use only every OTHER cupcake well for higher muffin tops). If making 8 muffins, prepare second cupcake pan.
- Fill the cupcake wells all the way to the top and sprinkle a generous amount of streusel on top of each one.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F and then lower temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and let cool before enjoying!